Saturday 26 November 2011

Back to Johannesburg !

I'm back in Jo'burg ! I arrived on Monday morning (Nov. 21st). The flight was OK - I took EgyptAir this time, with a connection in Cairo. I learned when I arrived that on that very evening when I was at Cairo airport, several people died on Tahir Square during clashes between protesters and police ... Sad.

So, I arrived in Jo'burg, and I took the Gautrain to Rosebank where Simon picked me up. The Gautrain is quite convenient, I landed at 7:40, and at 8:45 I was in Rosebank - I'm sure with a car it would have taken much longer at that time of the day !
In Jo'burg it was raining, which is kind of frustrating when you arrive from autumn. But apparently the past weeks had been so warm that the rain was rather welcome !

We went directly to the place I live, in Westdene - very close to UJ Auckland Park Campus. I have a room+kitchen+bathroom in a cottage in a house.

The bedroom - living-room

The Kitchen - the fridge is even smaller than the one we have in Lausanne !

The house
And Simon let me use his "old alpha" ! It's a 1975 car ...




Isn't it cool ? I'm not as fond of cars as Simon (obviously), so I can't really use this car to its real potential ... :-)
In the first days, it was quite scary, since it was raining and dark, plus the driving on the other side of the road, and the wipers that didn't work ... But I'm getting used to it now.

Otherwise, it's good to be back at UJ, and to be in summer. I haven't really had a chance to see everyone yet - I've been busy and didn't really get out of my office ... But on Monday, there should be some cheese-and-chocolate for the Department of Physics !

No comments:

Post a Comment