Sunday 14 August 2011

Last weekend in Jo'burg and Sunday morning visitors

It's the beginning of the "lasts" ... though of course, I'll come back here at the end of the year !
My last weekend in Jo'burg is coming to an end. Today, I went to the Rosebank mall with Doomnull, and I learned a lot of "shopping tips" ! Nonetheless, my goal today was more to buy things I'll bring back to Switzerland, so we spent quite a lot of time in the African Craft market too, where I actually could speak french with people from Cameroon, Congo or Senegal.

In the morning, I spent some time observing birds in the garden. The weavers make nice nests, like these ones on the avocado tree :


They are nice yellow birds :




That one looks different, but seemed to be "working" with the yellow ones !



I also saw other birds walking on the wall :



It's actually quite interesting to observe birds because they really seem to communicate. Also, I was sitting in the middle of the garden on a chair, so I was clearly disturbing them !

Tree in the garden.



3 comments:

  1. Hey Mathieu!

    The brown weavers are the females, or immature males (especially in spring). The yellow ones are the mature males. The males build the nests for the females, and then invite a female to look at it. If she likes it - great. If not (more likely) the male has to rip it apart and start all over again!

    The other bird you saw looks like an olive thrush

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I figured that out after ! It's funny how the males often have the nice colors and so on ;-) Like, a peacock, the female is all grey or brown, while the males have the cool colors !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup! When I was younger I always thought that wasn't fair :)

    ReplyDelete