Saturday 28 May 2011

Arrival in Jo'burg

Going to Johannesburg from Europe is rather easy. There are several flights every night departing from main cities (Paris, Frankfurt, Zurich, ...). From Europe, the flight is about 10 hours, so most companies (of not all) schedule a night flight. I usually fly with Swiss from Zurich. Departure is around 23:00, and you arrive in Jo'burg the next morning around 9:30. So, it's very convenient because you don't waste a day in the plane, and also there is no jet lag (1 hour in Summer (North hemisphere winter), no difference in Winter).

So, I landed in O.R. Tambo International Airport on Monday, May 15th, in the morning. No particular problem : just this dog at the custom controls that was smelling the cheese in my bag ! I didn't want to loose everything, so I admitted having cheese and gave it to them, but I didn't mention all the rest (ham, more cheese, etc. .. so, I just lost some manchego cheese !).

O.R. Tambo International Airport. Cheese is forbidden, apparently weapons are not. [Jan 2011]
By chance, I was in the same plane as Simon (my prof./supervisor/boss) here, so we could directly go and start with the paperwork : university, bank, phone, car, house, etc. I will do specific posts about these later.

No comments:

Post a Comment